02 July 2005

The Freedom To Write

Greetings Dear Readers,

Since it is Independence Day weekend I thought I would talk about the freedom involved in the writing life. If you are a writer in America, you can write about almost anything you wish and if you find an audience, get published and paid for writing. The Constitution guarantees out right to speak freely, including via the written word. There are still countries where it is illegal and even dangerous to write things that are not politically correct or socially acceptable.

We are free to write but must be careful to protect this freedom. An example of threats to our freedom to expression is the whole concept of political correctness. When someone tells me I must say something a certain way they are telling me that my intent is determined by their interpretation of my words.

This is an error. When I use a word to describe something in my writing, it is my intent that matters, not the readers assignment of my intent. Many have gone back to great past writings attempting to assign their social framework to another writer's intent. Authorial intent always matters. Coaching demands for political correctness in terms that sound kind makes it no less improper. People accuse those rejecting political correctness of be exclusive or non-inclusive by their word choice. To me, this borders on the always to be feared thought police.

We must try not to offend out of hand, but sometimes the truth is offensive. This means that there will be offense just because we speak the truth. That is too bad. It is a slight on our freedom to demand that we temper the truth so that it is inoffensive.

The concept of political correctness also forces a logical fallacy. It offends me to demand that I be politically correct in my expression so, political correctness becomes, by its nature, offensive and therefore wrong. Political correctness is a threat to our basis freedom of expression. Too many people gave their lives and continue to do so in order for me to write. It would be dishonorable for me to speak anything less than the truth, tempered with kindness.

Have a great holiday, and go write something.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment