10 July 2005

On Editors

Greetings Dear Readers,

Many things, both wonderful and woeful pass through out lives. Sometimes they stay. Occasionally, when the timbre of the great song is just right, the universe sings out an amazing and kind editor. In my mind, editors are mostly curmudgeonly old men with red pens and sour stomachs. Since God loves to shatter my stereotypes he sent me an editor who is kind, vibrant, and very encouraging.

None of the things I have mentioned are requirements to good editing but what they do for the author is unchartable. I have had three professional editors in my writing career. The first was critical, mean spirited, and chemical dependent. His goal was more my destruction than the healing of my writing flaws. He almost drove me away from writing all together. My second editor, truly one of God's greatest creations, was too busy to be great. I have retained her as my first reader. (If you do not know what that is read Steven King's On Writing, heck read it anyway, as a matter of fact I think that I will reread it today.) She is an awesome first reader and will always fill that role as often as she wishes. My third editor is also a singularly clear note in the universe. She is efficient, encouraging, and pushes me to be a better writer.

When you choose someone to edit your work, do not rest until you find someone who loves editing and gets you as a writer. Avoid frustrated authors who became editors so that they could hang onto the edge of the writing world without really living in it. True editors like mine are not standing on the edge waiting for the courage to write. They find their passion in making writers better at their craft.

Here are some things to look for in an editor

Skill in the language
A passion for excellence
Kindness - Kind Editors exist, therefore, we should use them and drive the others out of business
Good communication skills
A teaching aptitude - My editor is great at showing me flaws in my grammar without making me feel like and idiot. After all I have a Ph.D., I just have trouble with things like spelling and split infinitives.

Above all, it is vital to entrust your writing to someone you trust. You are handing them a piece of your life. Your time, thoughts, and heart went into what is on the page. Your editor should respect this. I know mine does. She is a joy and a blessing.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment