04 July 2005

This Week's Reading - 07-04-05

Greetings Dear Readers,

So many books, so little time. This week my mind wrestles anew with the words of Thomas Traherne and George Herbert. One of my dear colleagues gave me a Latin and English version of George Herbert's works as a graduation gift and I use it to keep my skills at the long dead language honed. Amidst the great messages of the humble pastor, Herbert lies the constant reminder of the ways in which Christ shares our journey with us. Thomas Traherne's words are eternal no matter what your faith or practice. His Centuries of Meditation cause the reader to look at the universe as his own and see the ways in which his calls a man to greatness.

I am also reading The Last Best League, by Jim Collins. This is a baseball story about the Cape Cod League and therefore has my heart. The book was a gift from my youngest son this past Father's day. Giving books as gifts is a tradition that must remain. Books are eternal gifts in which you can package messages that remain for many years. Buy someone a book. Buy them one of mine if you wish. Stephen King called them "uniquely portable magic."

Feel free to tell me what you are reading or recommend books for me. Stay cool in the heat and read something amazing.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment