30 October 2008

Boys of Summer

Greetings Dear Readers,

There is something about being a parent that is amazing. Opportunities abound when your children are young. Then they commit the terrible crime of growing up and opportunities become rare. As a teacher I had many summers to spend with my sons Maxim and Bezel growing up. We built some amazing memories and had some real and imagined adventures. I had the honor of teaching them to swim, discovering who they were becoming over Jamocha Shakes, and teaching them the wonder of baseball.

They are older now and the opportunities are few. They are good men trying to find the right path in a dangerous world. They are loyal friends. Maxim is a good husband to his wife Raven. His passion for the lost and seeing Christ touch the lives of others is inspiring. Bezel has a depth of loyalty and compassion that is incomparable. His charm and wit could win millions to Christ. They are amazing men who I also count at my best friends.

It astonishes me how much they have to teach me but I sometimes wonder about the things I need to begin to teach them. What is a father's place in the lives of his adult sons? I know that there are areas where I dare not tread. I must respect that they are young men but I see things they do not always see and am not sure how to communicate it to them.

There are other matters where I must teach them by action with few words. Currently I am teaching them how to handle pain and rejection at the hands of someone I love. I will have to teach them how a man handles aging, painful life changes, and facing the future without the love of your life. I hope they never have to apply these lessons but I will teach them just the same.

It is my job to be the example they need even when they do not wish it. I must handle all things with the grace and love of Christ. I must love them wear they are at all times. When I fail them I must own it completely. When they fail me I must insist that they own it but do so in a spirit of gentle and restorative love. I love my sons with a fire that is unquenchable. I challenge all men who are blessed with sons to do the same; be vulnerable about your failures, hold them accountable for their, most important, evidence the grace and love of Christ is all things.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment