09 October 2008

Tiers of Hope

Greetings Dear Readers,


To the right, you will see the picture of a Tiffin. It hails from India and is used there as a lunch box. I encountered one for the first time about ten years ago when working with a community organization. I have wanted one ever since. As the need to be careful how much waste I generate grows more important to me, I realized how much this would reduce my waste for taking lunches to work.


I bought a four tier tiffin (they come in 2 - 7 tiers), on eBay, from a very nice lady in the UK. She was so nice I will provide a link to her eBay store so you can get your tiffin from her. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmin36 Should the link not work, her eBay handle is min36. Please give her your custom should you decide to purchase a tiffin. Good sellers deserve more business. Now back to the tiffin. As I waited for it to arrive I realized there are so many possibilities for its use.

One can take their lunch/dinner without using plastic bags.
One can surprise a friend or loved one with a hot meal.
One could create a very portable picnic with this tiered container, add a bottle of good wine and have a romantic evening at the park
The possiblities are probably endless

It is made of stainless steel and each layer is self-contained. So why all the big fuss? Well, you see, I have a hard time getting things for myself. Given the current stresses in my life, it is very unlikely that I would like myself enough to do something like this. But I did. I bought a tiffin. It arrived yesterday and I have washed it and will take my lunch in it today. You see, every day I can build little layers of lunch. I will not need to decide if I am going to try and rinse out the zip lock bag to use it one more time. I have a sustainable food transport system; a gift I have given myself and in a small way, the rest of the world. I have so many other things I can give the world if I will just do it. Today I will not use any disposable items to carry my lunch. The tiffin will fit right in my lunch box with my titanium spork (yes I really have a titanium spork http://www.thinkgeek.com/ ). Lately I have shed many tears of sorrow and pain, but thanks to Min in the UK, today I have some tiers of hope. Thank you Min.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/10/08 16:31

    It is Your Christmas here, and she iss o proud of you...
    YOU bought a tiffin ... you have wanted it so badly, and you got it. thank You for being a Man I can look up to, as a friend and as a father.
    together we can pull through this, cause Christ it there to take our hand!

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete