26 December 2008

Pondering my Christmas gifts – The first day of Christmas

Greetings and Merry Christmas Dear Readers,
This was definitely a “Hard Candy Christmas” for me and most of my family. There were so may little things that could have damaged my spirit but Christ kept opening my eyes to where he lurked in the events surrounding me. I resolved early on to make the best of the season in focusing on Christ and him alone. The resultant joy of this season has little to parallel others. There are some painful and bittersweet bits, but on the balance there is joy and peace in these anecdotes that are truly the spirit of Christ making himself real to me. I will endeavor to share some of it with you in hopes of extending your Christmas joy.

On the first day of Christmas I received a letter from one of my students who reads my blog. He is a fine and noble young man whose friendship I highly value. He related how events in his life had caused him to question the presence and purpose of Christ in the world. He went to tell me that my life makes him wish to believe. That Christ has used me to cause someone to seek Him is perhaps the best gift I can imagine.

My beloved Avalon has left me and is divorcing me for her own purposes. My sons and daughter are struggling in ways that I cannot repair for them. Yet had I not been immersed in these trials, Christ could not have used me to show a friend that faith is real; that there is hope.
As I sit here drinking my coffee, watching a movie while my children sleep, and eating one of the best cookies I have ever tasted, I see at least one gift I will cherish for life.

So on the first day of Christmas, my Savior gave to me, a purpose for carrying his tree. I would trade all I have for others to see Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey, and a Merry Christmas

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment