19 January 2009

An Ancient Request

Greetings Dear Readers,

As we rush through our lives, “limping through heaven or running through hell.” We ask so much of God that has nothing to do with who God is. It must be both saddening and amusing to God that we so often sound like little children with a want list. I admit freely that there are things I want from God that may or may not be in my best interest. I try to make sure I ask properly and accept it when my Father says no.

In another vein though, I have worked very hard at asking things that follow along with my Father’s heart. In that pursuit, I have focused on things that remind me of that heart. What do men wish from God? What have they asked for that has stood the test of time? The answer best comes to me from 5th century Ireland.

St. Patrick, in A.D. 433 defied an order to light no fires prior to High King Loegaire of Tara lighting the ceremonial fires of the pagan celebration of the Spring fertility rites. Patrick lit the Easter candles and this account was remembered in an ancient Irish folk song called Slane. This is the name of the hill where St. Patrick lit the candles.

This tune was paired with words used since at least the 8th century by Irish monks. Saint Dallan Forgaill, an Irish Bard is credited with penning the immortal words, but the hymn was not translated into English until 1905. Still for at least twelve centuries, this one song has expressed desires that I believe truly are in line with the Father’s heart for his children. I often sing or hum this song when I am out running errands. It keeps me focused on what I am really meant to be doing. Take some time to read the text of this ancient request to God the Father. He will not mind if you make the request your own.

Be Thou My Vision

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Nought be all else to me, save that Thou art-
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joy, O bright heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O ruler of all.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous23/1/09 21:28

    If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader Aramis, and I believe this with all my heart...

    I have been following your posts and story now for quiet some time and though I do not comment much you inspire and help me. you are a leader in my life weather you know it or not and so I believe that there are many more how you lea and they stay in silence and admoration at your story and work

    ReplyDelete