08 February 2009

What You Call Someone Matters

Greetings Beloved Readers,

When I was young my Grandfather invested time in teaching me about how to address people. For anyone older than me that was not a child it was Mr., Mrs., or Miss. For anyone with office or title it was always their title. A man of the cloth was always Reverend or Father. The common way of things was respect.

People have changed. Respect is demanded by those who do not deserve it and rarely given to those who have earned it. With an office comes a level of respect that is inherent. No matter what you think of an individual in an office there is a level of respect commanded by that office. As a professor I do not insist that my students call me Doctor, Mister, or Professor. I like them calling me by my given name. It bothers me, however, when they refer to other professors by just their last name.

This stems, I think, from the practice of the media referring to people in office, including the President by just their last name. No matter what you think of Presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama, they are the individuals elected as the President of the United States. We no longer distinguish between the office and the man. We have forgotten that protocol matters. When President Nixon said that “when the President does it, it is not wrong,” he was incorrect. But there is truth in the fact that those in office deserve a measure of deference based solely on the nature of the office.

It is not that we give respect out empty loyalty to a position or post. It is that we should show deference out of respect to those who serve us. Teachers, Soldier, Policemen, Firemen, and even politicians serve us. They give their lives in service. Some err and abuse their power. There is still the office to consider.

No matter your politics, the President is the President. Teachers work for too little to give us so much. I ask how it hurts us to say “Ms. Carlson” or “Professor Cann” instead of just “Carlson” or “Cann?” It costs us so little to give someone their title when talking about them. They have earned it and it fosters a respect that is vital to civil relationships.

As for me just call me Aramis. I will call you whatever you wish me to call you. When I speak of you to others I will refer to you by whatever honorarium is rightfully yours. Respect matters.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/2/09 20:26

    R-E-S-P-C-T
    Yes it does matter!
    I am in compleat agreance with you Aramis, and I am saddened by the lack of respect in this day and age, how it is to be accepted to call someone by their name and not title.
    Go You Aramis ...
    lets show people this one person at a time

    ReplyDelete