27 April 2009

The Edge

Greetings Dear Readers,

Years ago I was out walking with a friend. We were at a gorge that led to a waterfall and this friend found a birch tree that hung out over the edge of the gorge. Of course the friend had to climb out onto that tree and lay in it over the gorge. I recently saw a picture of that same friend on a social networking site, hanging over a river in a tree. It caused me to think of the pattern of their life and that they seem to be constantly seeking the edges of things. I asked this person once why they did such things and they said it was because they wanted to “suck the marrow out of life.”

I have another friend who has two sons. One of them is the kind of guy who is always “safe.” He does what he must and takes few risks. His brother is just the opposite. He pushes the edges of obedience and looks for what he can get away with rather than thinking about what is best.

We all have a reason for the things we do, and to us the reason always seems rational. For years I have been demanding and less than tolerant of the differences in others that are too close to the edge for me. In other areas I have been the one on the edge, not considering if I was there for the right reasons. We run to things that can hurt us, often not knowing why. When run from things that can protect us for the exact same reasons. We damage ourselves because the inner pain is so much worse than the pain we inflict on ourselves and others.

Like so many things, I am learning that the truth is somewhere in the middle. I do not need a cocoon, nor do I need to run to danger to such the marrow out of life. When Thoreau said this, he was commenting on his choice to live deliberately. We must always know why we do what we do. We must examine our choices in light of who we claim to be. As a Christ follower, I must make my choices based on where I think Christ leads and not on what I think will quiet the inner voices or stem the tide of my dissatisfaction. As I learn that the truth is less at the extremes I also learn that the path is far narrower than I first believed. I can only follow what I believe to be right; not what is safe, exciting, convenient, or even understandable. I must be certain that the only thing I seek whether it is on the edge or in the middle is Christ.

I must also trust that others are doing the same even when I think they are absolutely wrong. I realize that this raises questions about how we measure what is wrong because I disagree with it, therefore, making it not wrong but my preference and what is WRONG based on absolute values. I will discuss this more later. For now, I will look again at the picture of my friend hanging over the edge and realize that perhaps the literal edges are not nearly as dangerous as the spiritual ones.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous30/4/09 13:55

    Aramis...
    Keep on this path... though many struggle with their choices and where they think life may be leading them, we can all take a lession on being consious of our actions and how they relate to out personaillity.

    Thank you Aramis for looking for the right path, I pray that you can hold steady on it and find yourself in the shadow of Christ's footsteps.

    ReplyDelete