21 April 2009

A Second Response from and to Just Curious, Part 1

Greetings Dear Readers and Just Curious,

After I posted my reply to Just Curious I received another well thought and polite response. Here is part one of a more lengthy dialogue. I have not edited Just Curious in any way, but have broken up his or her writing with my responses. Anyone who wishes to join the conversation may.

Just Curious: Okay, you shot down most everything that I said. I guess I can see your points about most of that. I certainly didn't say that we need to divide The Church more. I don't see why abandoning the current model implies that we must be less unified. I certainly don't think that I know every right way to go about it, but I'm left feeling pained when I walk in or out of a church. It's not because I don't know that God is real or because I don't have faith in Jesus. It's because of the way that they do things.

Aramis: First let me say that my intent was not to “Shoot down” anything you said. Please forgive me if I came across that way. It was only in my heart to speak the truth in love. I know you did not say that the church needed further division. It is the effect of dividing that keeps me in the Church when I see so much that needs fixing. Abandoning the current model may be the right thing to do, but I do not know if that is the best way to heal the body.

It matters very much to me that interaction with churches pains you. Whatever causes that pain, the only source for healing it or dealing with it is in Christ. I would like to know more specifically about what you mean by “the way they do things.” I see many of the flaws in the Church but I do not know which ones cause you pain, but I am willing to listen and address them. I do not claim to speak for the Church or Christ. That would be foolish.Just Curious: If all of this that you say is true though what do you think ought to be done? Loving people as Christ loves them is wonderful, but how is someone like you actively affecting change in your local church by doing that?I guess I should be more specific about it. How do you suppose that love will change the bad practices that you see? I have my own problems with The Church, and I'm sure that you could take issue with those; but first, how do you see things as changing in The Church as you love them in the correct way or as others do the same?

Aramis: I can only answer this with my understanding of the Bible and with my life experience. I will start with the latter. I have cause, given my life experience to totally reject the traditional church. They shoot their wounded, judge, manipulate, coerce, divide, and do great harm. Throughout history they have murdered, stolen, raped, pillage, and burned. I have been rejected, judged, abandoned when I was failing and needed to be “restored in a spirit of love.” My personal experience also causes me great pain when I go to church. I can only imagine how much more it pained Christ to go to the Temple or his local Synagogue. We see the need for change far less than he did. The only answer I can give with integrity is to say that I attempt in my limited capacity to do what Christ did. I will try to address this specifically over the next couple of days. For now I would only submit that we only have one task, following Christ and his example. I will do my best to build my answers on that alone.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment