18 August 2009

Under a Cheshire Moon

Greetings Dear Readers,

I do not know if it is obvious or not but I am a romantic. The other night the moon was in a thin crescent that hung perfectly over the field beside our home. I say the other night but truly it was the morning; around 3 AM. I had awakened from a fitful sleep earlier than usual and was pondering the road that runs by my house when the moon broke from behind some clouds.

My mind immediately played back the conversations with Avalon over the years. She would lovingly point out what we called a Cheshire Moon and sometimes show me that Venus was again chasing the fading smile. Sadness griped me as for another moment I missed the wife I love. I began to turn away, pushing away the memories and the pain. Then a thought intruded both offensive and true.

I thought that seeing the crescent moon as both lovely and romantic was not a bad thing. As much as Avalon’s departure has hurt me, there can be peace in the pain. The moon is lovely all on its own. There is something magical about the quality of light and the winking Venus chasing after it. I am still a romantic.

What I must do on the road to healing is not reject things that, though still painful, are beautiful in their own right. For a while the memories will be barbed and hold a little venom. This does not mean that in the truth of standing alone with the Cheshire Moon there is no beauty. So, as I must do with all things, I give my romantic heart to the God who loves me more than I can ever imagine.

Under the smile of that fading crescent I see that my heart can heal. I have gained benefit from being someone who can be in love with someone who vows to spend their life with you and then rejects you. It lets me see a little clearer just how much the God I reject every time I disobey him loves me. In the divine romance that is God’s reclamation of man to himself, he can be found, infinitely loving us and sometimes, like Venus winking at us just above the Cheshire Moon.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. mariannaalexanderreaves22/8/09 07:40

    hoping for speedy healing for you.

    ReplyDelete