21 September 2009

The Last Day of Summer

Greetings Dear Readers,

As today dawns where I live the sky is grey. The sun is not expected to appear but its light drives away the darkness as I type. The air is chilled and it will likely rain. None of this is a complaint. Today is the last day of summer. Some places the sun is shining bright, but I commemorated the end of summer yesterday.

For lunch yesterday I had an almost perfect bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich. The bacon was apple smoked. The lettuce was romaine. The bread was lightly toasted and the Miracle Whip® was oh so perky. The only thing that was lacking was that it was not on Sun Beam® bread. It is hard to find where I live. The star of yesterday’s celebration, though, had to be the tomatoes.

The tomatoes on my sandwiches were perfect red globes of captured summer sun and rain. They were bursting with juice and flavor. Some of the best tomatoes I have had since I was a boy. What made these tomatoes doubly special is that they were a gift. I do not know who to thank. They were left in a bag by my door. For two weeks now someone has left me tomatoes anonymously as a gift .

I never seek out the giver of anonymous gifts. I presume that if they wish to be known I will learn it naturally. I do, however, wish to thank them here. The tomatoes have been a daily blessing. I have made sandwiches and burgers with them. I have sliced some and eaten them with pepper and some sliced cucumbers. The best though was surely yesterday’s BLT’s.

It is not too late for the rest of you. Do something today to celebrate the summer. To my readers on the southern half of the planet I wish you a wonderful spring. You should celebrate too. Just as the sunshine slips away here and the air chills, it begins to warm and bring new life to the southern hemisphere. Perhaps one of you can celebrate with a BLT in six months.

Wishing you joy in the journey,


Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment