12 October 2009

How is that Following Christ?

Greetings Dear Readers,

So I had to make my way across town for something yesterday. Most of the journey was highway driving and the traffic was light. The cool sunny morning offered clear visibility and easy driving. All this should make for a pleasant journey to church. It should unless I get in my own way.

First there was the guy in the SUV. He tailgated me when there was no other traffic around us. He passed me and then pulled in front of me and slowed down. So I thought all my terrible thoughts and sped off around him.

Then there was the guy who merged right on top of me. Does anyone in this city know how to merge? What a jerk….Ah there it is. In haste to keep my place in my lane on my trip to church I had forgotten whose I was, who owned the world, and what my attitude should be in regard to all of this.

Following Christ for me is not just the big picture of salvation and a faith based life. It is making sure that I treat everyone as Christ would treat them. It is being nice to my waitress. It is forgiving the guy who cut me off because I cut people off sometimes too. It is the fact that the road, the car, and the drive all belong to Christ as much as anything else in my life.

I have no right to my anger, my pride, and my place on the road. Anything that I view as mine is my way of saying that it does not belong to Christ. Any time I assert my “rights” I am forgetting the grace that has been shown to me and that I in turn need to show to others. There are laws and they should be obeyed, but I am neither the law giver nor the enforcer. I am just a traveler on my way to God and my only hope is keeping focused on my guide, Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment