05 October 2009

When my Faith is Idolatry

Greetings Dear Readers,

Please forgive my absence last week, I was working on a new writing venue that required all my writing time. I am writing for an online publication called the Examiner (www.examiner.com ). I will get blogging back into my cycle this week as I need the accountability.

I was challenged to go deeper this past week on my understanding of what idolatry is. Who is Christ? What image do you summon in your mind when someone mentions Jesus? Is it the Jesus who reached out to the poor and healed the sick?

I try most of the time to see the humble and obedient God who created us, loves us, and when it was time, died for us to buy us back to himself. Often, however, I find that I see Christ as less than this. I remake my image of Christ into the thing I need in the moment. I forget with whom I am dealing and use Jesus as my ATM for my needs or my personal weather consultant. On other occasions, much more serious, I remake my internal image of Christ into the buddy I count on to justify my own selfish behavior.

Too often I remake Christ into the image that I need in the moment, transforming my faith into idolatry. My intentions may even be good, but I forget with whom I am dealing. How can I be a serious follower of Christ when I transform him into that which I wish to follow instead following who he really is?
My journey is painful of late. Yet in the midst of it, as I find new bits of myself to discard I see new facets of Christ to love and embrace. If what I believe and practice has any purpose other than follow Christ more closely, it is me reforming Christ and not being reformed.

The results of remembering to see Christ as he is are wonderful. He is always there ready to forgive my idolatry, remind me of his love, and give me direction by gently whispering, “Follow me, we have a little farther to go yet.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment