23 December 2009

25 Thoughts on “A Christmas Carol” – December 23rd

Happy Christmas Dear Reader

“ 'I was only going to say,' said Scrooge's nephew, 'that the consequence of his taking a dislike to us, and not making merry with us, is, as I think, that he loses some pleasant moments, which could do him no harm. I am sure he loses pleasanter companions than he can find in his own thoughts, either in his mouldy old office, or his dusty chambers. I mean to give him the same chance every year, whether he likes it or not, for I pity him. He may rail at Christmas till he dies, but he can't help thinking better of it-I defy him-if he finds me going there, in good temper, year after year, and saying Uncle Scrooge, how are you. If it only puts him in the vein to leave his poor clerk fifty pounds, [that’s] something; and I think I shook him yesterday.'”

What are the effective results of our kindnesses to others? We may never know. When I am good to a shop keeper or clerk that I never see again, I do not know what means of Providence may be served by my kindness, but rather I am content to offer it just because I am supposed to offer it. When we deal in the currency of grace, mercy, and kindness, we are guaranteed return with interest that we cannot measure.

Fred intends to offer kindness to his Uncle even if there is no visible return or profit for him. Fred is even willing to endure his Uncle’s displeasure for the sake of Bob Cratchit. Scrooge’s earlier comment to Fred about finding himself a year older but not an hour richer is measured in the wrong medium.

In light of this thinking, I try to go through my day with this spirit and try to carry it the year round. When I fail at this it is usually because I am mired in my own worries and have not looked up enough to see that I am rich in the things that matter and must share in that abundance lest I drown from the flood of plenty given me. I can count my true wealth in the impact I have on those with who I traffic daily. I intend to do all that I can so that perhaps over time many may benefit from my good humor.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment