31 January 2010

The Constant Bus Driver

Greetings Dear Reader,

Every man’s death diminishes me; some more than others. A man who I have not seen in over a decade lost his life this past week. The only word that ever came to mind was kindness when I thought of him. He was a bus driver for a large city. He was a man of infinite jest. He cared about people and delivered little bits of kindness every day on his route.

His niece often spoke of his patience and how much she loved him. I wish I had known him better. It was my own fault I did not. It causes me to ponder the way in which I nurture my friendships and I realize that I do not do it very well.

How will I be thought of the day after I shuffle off this mortal coil? I know that there are people who openly hate me. There are even more who dislike me. How much of that is because of the times when patience, love, kindness, and selflessness should have ruled me and they did not?

I can be both kind and curmudgeonly. I can make others feel accepted or rejected. I seem to fail most those I love the dearest. I need to be more like that constant bus driver. Moving through life picking up those who need to be carried for a bit and dropping them off closer to their destination. I need to offer them a kind word and listen to the story of their journey, realizing that I am no one’s destination, but just a fellow traveler who knows the road a little better.

It is not my place to tell them where to get on or off. It is not my responsibility to tell them where to go after their departure. Not one lives at the bus stop so I should not be surprised not to see them waiting for me. In fact they are not waiting for me they are waiting for the bus. No one says, “I am waiting for the bus driver.”

I am just a currier who knows how to move the bus along closer to work or more happily home. My job is to keep the bus moving and stopping on its destined route. I am to be there to assure that people get on and off safely and get where they are headed on time. So I will sit by the door, greet each new passenger, and remember Jack as I do. I will endeavor to remain the Constant Bus Driver.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment