07 January 2010

Epiphany

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday was the Feast of the Epiphany. Several people asked me what that meant. For the few of you who do not know, Epiphany, or twelfth night falls on January 6th. It celebrates the advent of Christ, the visitation of the Magi, and most of the events up to the baptism of Christ by John the Baptist. Today it is mostly the Magi that is the focus.

In our culture an epiphany can also mean a moment when a great realization or revelation breaks upon the consciousness. This is usually the result of our minds incubating ideas that are joined but we do not yet see the connection. I often wonder how many ideas break upon me and drift away in the flotsam and jetsam of my mind without my capturing the essence of them. I have taken to recording, emailing, and writing down ideas wherever I am when they cast themselves upon me.

This results in me have a constant pool of ideas to develop, refine, and write about. Thinking about this brings me back to thinking about the Magi. They had a constant pool of thought on the stars and their courses. They knew history and the texts of other cultures. They put together that the stars were leading them to a conclusion. “We have seen his star in the East, and have come to worship him,” they said.

I hope that as I fill my mind with the things that matter and try to move away from the things that do not, that I see the advent of Christ in each day. I hope that I am ready to see him appear in each moment to me if I am looking for him. It is about being ready when Christ is ready. It is about realizing is that each moment can be a realization of revelation. Each moment can be an epiphany of Christ’s advent in our lives. We only need to be wise enough to keep seeking him to find him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment: