03 February 2010

8 Miles and Counting

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I mentioned yesterday, my insurance company says I will live to be 82. I hope they are correct. So much of what I do is optimistic. It is not that I do not feel the pain of loss or the fear of eventualities. It is that I know in that way that only faith can know that God knows what he is doing even when I am clueless.

I do not always live the faith that I hold but when I do it is sweet and steady. When I fail the fear and pessimism can grip me in their claws and wring all sorts of wickedness from me. Only the acts of life that are lived in faith seem to produce anything good. The miles behind me where faith has ruled are the ones I can remember with a smile. Those where I ignored the voice of faith within me and instead listened to my own fears have produced little other than lies, pain, and great sin.

I can see clearly the moments where my sin has harmed others and still hear the echoes of choices made in selfishness and self preservation. For the follower of Christ, there is no need of either. Selfishness rejects the very purpose of following Christ and self preservation denies the faith that I need not control my own circumstances.

Everything does work together for good but that statement is conditional and we ignore the conditions. Everything works together for good under two concurrent conditions: to those who love God and who are called according to HIS purpose. Every time I stray from following in faith I do not love God and am not called according to his purpose. This does not mean that I thwart God in any way but it does mean that the ensuing consequences are my own filing and little else.

The miles slip away and only the ones traveled in faith matter.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment