10 February 2010

A Milestone

Greetings Dear Reader,

Let me first say that I love you all dearly and am thankful for the time you invest in this old scribbler of tales. Today I turn fifty. Half a century does not feel as long as it is. The ruddy sand of life slips through the pinch at its unrelenting pace. Each grain counts out the moments spent until the last red grain slips through demanding that I settle with the house.

Perhaps I will indulge the cup tonight or sit in the wind with a bright cherry atop my favorite pipe or both. A golden toddy and some good Cavendish are a fine way to end the day that marks your fiftieth year. I will have spent most of the day attempting to explain virtual machines and network servers to young minds still hoping for a better future.

I will miss my Avalon all day today. I had grand plans for this milestone for us, but alas they are lost to her will and my shelf-life. Please know that today I feel the truth of a scarecrow’s dreams. I also feel the firm love and support of Christ as he sustains me in the darkness and silences of the things that call me other than he sees me.

I am reasserting my efforts in completing some works promised to you along ago. I have several new ideas under development as well. In potential works alone I have much time still to use. As I look into the next half century I wonder if I will have the time to complete my task. I know that I am determined to try.

For today I ponder the things missed along the way that I would revisit. Some of them I can and some of them I cannot. I will journey where and when I can but for now I will enjoy the moment and live the day to its fullest.

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though we pass them by today,
Tomorrow we may come this way
And take the hidden paths that run
Towards the Moon or to the Sun. – J.R.R. Tolkien


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, and nice poetry for the occasion!

    ReplyDelete