13 February 2010

The One Song

Greetings Dear Reader,

All creation moves in a cosmic dance
Before the Lord her King.
The rhythm, the reason, the rhyme of the dance
Poses within everything. – Kemper Crabb


Last night I stood out in the cold crisp air looking up at Orion. Fresh snow is on the ground and the moon was the barest of Cheshire grins. Though weary I stood for a bit looking up at the grand constellation; admiring the brightness of Rigel and Betelgeuse. The flickering of S261 was a brilliant red and the entire sky-scape shown crisp with effervescent clarity.

It occurred to me that the most ancient texts consider Orion a shepherd and not a hunter. It is also said that the juxtaposition of Orion and Taurus is the inspiration for the Epic of Gilgamesh. Every culture from the ancient Far East to Native American mythology has given a designation of importance to this group of stars.

At that moment last night I was taken in by the vastness of the heavens and how truly small I am in the entire cosmic dance. Yet in that seemingly endless expanse I am significant to the one who created it all. From the courses of entire galaxies to the movement of microbes through my bloodstream God controls it all. In that moment, with a bit of pain in my knee and my cold breath taken aback by remembrance there came an apostrophe (read epiphany and thank you Mister Smee).

Everything I worry about is beyond my control and everything I fear is useless to fear. I cannot prevent anything or cause anything. My actions are my choice but if they are for good they are predestined to serve the greater good. If they are for ill then God has prepared a response to work his will in the world despite my failures. In the innumerable measure of the Universe there is a single song being played out by the ultimate composer. When my notes are those of disharmony he has already written subtext to bring things back into proper time and step at the appointed movement of the song.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 - So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store.”

No comments:

Post a Comment