15 February 2010

A Universe of Wonders

Greetings Dear Reader,

Do you know that in a universe full of wonders, humans have managed to invent boredom? -
Death in Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.


I am rarely bored. There is always something that snags my interest. Lately I have been pondering the night sky a great deal. I have also been fascinated this year by the things that snow and ice do when left to their own devices.

Most mornings I awake with my head full of things to do. Most days are filled with things that can recapture our sense of awe if we let them. It really only takes a determination to see what is there. Currently a pair of cardinals flit in the tree outside of my window. This is their third winter with us and they obviously benefit from the filled bird feeder in the yard. What they give in return is a constant dance of brown and crimson beauty that reminds me daily of Christmas.

I pondered for a while the other day how many children they have nested and sent out from the simple nest in the lilac bush currently barren of leaves. Amidst the cold death of winter the pair of Cardinals tend their home in preparation for the advancing time when they will again bring new life into a warm spring.

Through that same window I can see an inspiring example of life leaping forth from death. A tree needed to be cut down during our first year in this house. The stump stands still in the yard and I thought to remove it. Then it burst forth over the summer with new life. At the moment it is a comical collection of stump, dead branches, and snow. Come the spring it will resemble an odd dwarfed tree filled with life and possibility. A constant reminder is this tree of what God does for us daily; turning death into a fighting chance to live.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 - So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store.”

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous15/2/10 13:04

    Your beautiful words bring back my love and longing for the beauty of the North. Every season there is full of God's splendor. Here I have to travel to the mountains to see all of the beauty that is lost here in the city.
    Thank you for the gift of your words. I thank our Father for the gifts he has give you, every day.
    SS

    ReplyDelete