31 August 2010

The Coming Fire

Greetings Dear Reader

“Reflections on the water like shadows in my mind, Speak to me of passing days and nights and passing time, The falling leaves are whispering winter's on its way, I close my eyes remembering the warmth of yesterday.” – John Denver

I can see the maples pondering the change in sunlight and talking amongst themselves of their final glory before a frigid winter’s sleep. I was walking with my eldest son the other evening and commented on the evening sunlight and the desire to be fishing. It was then I noticed the maples mumbling but the conversation with my son was too important for me to really listen.

Yesterday, however, I made time to hear what the maples were telling me. Their wagging is telling the tale of the fiery offering they will make as they die for the season. Many of their brothers will give up their sap for our syrup. Some will not last the winter due to age, disease, and the axes of men. But if the conditions are right, the maples will yield a final blaze of beauty before the snows fall.

The summer seems to have flown by and the lingering warmth this week belies the subtle chill apparent at night. I hear all around me those who mourn the loss of summer and coming cold. I embrace it. As I enter this autumn season it holds great change in the seasons of my life. I become a grandfather and already am indulging in the joys of that role. I am in vocations that make me become more of what I should be each day. I am in a place with Christ that whittles away at my fallen self and pushes me to be a part of the redemption process at a deeper level.

So as the maples whisper for me to follow them deeper into this new season, I yearn to only do so if I am actually following Christ more closely. I embrace the changes as they come and hope to give my very best guided by the light of Christ and the fire of Sugar Maples rustling their eager fire in the wind.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment