18 September 2010

Caught Unawares at a Milestone

Greetings Dear Reader,

I begin this with an apology to my Mother for making her feel old and with forgiveness to my children for laughing at me. Laugh on kids, I understand. I have mentioned several times that I am excited about being a Grandfather. It is one of the aspects of ageing that lends grace and beauty to the process.

Yesterday, however, the ramifications of aging were driven home without warning. It was both a blessing and an opportunity for laughter. It was also a moment of pause for me as I realized that to young people, I look old. I know I look younger than I am, but apparently to some I look old.

I got to spend part of the day with my younger Son and we enjoyed a movie and then pizza together. During lunch he jokingly asked when he would get to take advantage of me getting a senior citizen discount. I reminded him that I am not a senior citizen for some years yet. God has a sense of humor and saw fit to remind me that age has nothing to do with it.

After time with my Son I went to pick up my Daughter from school. It being Friday she needed to go to the bank and expressed a desire to dine out for dinner. We had our usual haggle over where to dine and settled on the all you care to eat buffet at our local Hy-Vee Grocery Store. It is good food at a good price and they provide free Wi-Fi. The folks there are very friendly and provide a clean enjoyable atmosphere for a relaxing dinner.

Since it is a buffet and the grocery store is quite busy, they sensibly request that one bring the receipt for the meal when acquiring refills. It was on my second trip back from the salad bar that I realized a significant milestone had zoomed passed without so much as a by-your-leave sir or an if-you-please sir.

Whilst walking and reading the receipt I noticed that I had been charged less than my Daughter. There on the second line of the two itemized meals was a grey stony step along the path that I had hoped to avoid for at least five more years. It read “Senior Grand Buffet.”

The young lady who had so cheerfully served me at the counter thought that I was a senior citizen. She was so kind and polite. She smiled as she rang me up all along thinking that I was old. Now I do not think there is anything wrong with being old. I am just not ready for the old person to be me. I called both my Sons and they had a good laugh about it. Perhaps they will share their thoughts on it here. In any event the milestone of my first Senior Citizen Discount has come and gone and I all but missed. You, however, dear reader may enjoy it to your heart’s content.

Wishing you joy in the journey,Aramis ThornMat 13:52 - So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store.”

No comments:

Post a Comment