24 September 2010

Priceless Professionals and IT Thugs

Greetings Dear Reader,

We all need vendors. We all purchase products and services from others and depend on them to provide those things with equity and integrity. Many of the items and services we need or want put us at the mercy of experts. We count on them to inform, advise, and service when we are paying the bill. When we find honorable vendors it is a blessing. When we do not it can be a nightmare.

Someone I respect for his positive attitude and understanding nature recently referred to the computer repair services of a large electronics chain as “IT Thugs.” I had to concur with his assessment. He simply wanted to purchase a wireless router for his home network. He had a new laptop and just wished to get it on the internet and be able to print. Instead of helping him get what he needed they tried to up-sell him on services and product.

When my friend resisted they tried to use inaccurate fear to induce him to buy what they suggested. I have spoken to individuals who worked for this chain in the computer repair and service capacity. They have told me that the training teaches them to up-sell services even if those services are more than the customer needs. I respect the need to make a profit, but not the practice of thuggery against the uninformed.

The other side of the coin represents the Dave’s of the world. Dave is not only a provider of valuable service. He is an honest and skilled mechanic. Most of my life I have driven Volkswagens. Dave is my, yes MY Volkswagen mechanic. He is honest, generous, kind, and extremely excellent. He provides his service with equal integrity to the informed and uniformed. He explains what you need done to your car with care and precision.

I have been the victim of auto repair thugs. I have gouged and robbed by dishonest mechanics. Dave is the example all vendors should follow. He listens to his customers and usually knows what they need before they finish the explanation. He never over charges and I believe he often under charges. I know he never does unnecessary work unless the customer demands it. He is not just a mechanic. He is a good father and husband. He cares about the community and his neighbors.

On two occasions I have seen him dismiss the opportunity to make a buck for the sake of his integrity. A customer was sure she needed new CV joints because her car was making the classic ticking sound that signals this malady. He did not charge her at all for removing the bailing wire from her axel. Early in my relationship with Dave, I went in sure that my 1984 Jetta needed a full tune up. He said would do that if it was what I wanted but that my car did not need one it just needed some minor adjustment.

Dave has gone out of his way to do a Sunday repair and speed a couple along on their honeymoon – No Charge. He gets the value of mentoring others. Dave is the kind for service provider that keeps me buying used Volkswagens. He makes the journey more joyful. Thank you Dave.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment