10 October 2010

My Favorite Pipe

Greetings Dear Reader,

We had a week of chilled weather that turned on all my winter switches and pushed all my Christmas buttons. One of the things I look forward to is the first snow of the year. I smoke a pipe occasionally and one of those occasions is the first snow of the year. I have a favorite pipe. It is a curved Savinelli that is mellow and sweet. It was gift from someone that has left my life.

I have spent a great deal of time purging stuff from my life over the last couple of years. The things I keep are those that connect me to a person on some way. I have some rocks my eldest Son gave me when he was three. I also have a pencil holder that was the first gift my youngest Son ever got for me. I also have way too much stuff that I still need to set free.

Some things I keep but do not use because the memories they raise are too painful. For two years that pipe was one of those things. I have other pipes so my times of puffing and pondering were not abandoned. The Savinelli sat in it pouch protected from dust but unused. When the weather turned warm again this week I longed for the cold and then the snow, and then to my surprise, the Savinelli. I must be healing in places I do not realize.

Today the temperature will hit a record 84 degrees. The first snow of winter is a ways off. But I will use my Savinelli again this year. I will fill it with some Cavendish I have on reserve and sit quietly on my porch as the flakes fall. I will remember the good times and the love that brought that pipe to my hands. I will shed soft tears of joy over the beauty of the snow.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment