17 October 2010

Wondering Aloud About my Faith

Greetings Dear Reader,

By faith one was commended
For the sacrifice he made
Another out of holy fear
Built an ark the world to save
Another left his home land
And as a stranger he’d reside
But none received the promise then
So in faith they died - Michael Card

I have commented before that one of my weaknesses is that faith comes so easily for me. Yes you read that correctly. I see the ease of believing that I have as a weakness. It is a weakness because I selfishly forget that it is not the same for others. I have so often told others with great insensitivity to use their faith. I have been trying very diligently to overcome this malady. I regret that I have harmed others in my short sighted understanding of this area.

Beyond that I am growing in my understanding of just how central faith is to all that we do in following Christ. We are following something unseen yet not unknown. Our faith in all its insanity is still reasonable. It is not a platitude to say that we must use our faith to overcome all the adversity we faith. We still need to plan, work, and do those things that are wise and practical. We also need to use faith to shield us from the things in the world that cause hurt, doubt, anger, and fear.

If I do not do things with faith at the center of my doing then I am not following Christ. Christ insists that we do things that seem literally insane. It is not logical to love my enemies. It not logical to put myself in the path of those who have hurt my heart. It is not logical to treat others with forbearance and kindness in return for their treating me badly. None of this is logical but it is reasonable.

The truths of obeying Christ’s example are borne out repeatedly. When I respond in love to unkindness it is disarming. When I reach out to those who reject me then it makes a difference. When I depend on Christ and not others for my wellbeing then I am well. It is choosing that whether I receive the promise or not, I will die in faith if necessary.

This is not a martyr’s plea but rather a practical understanding of the ultimate result of faith. If I, moment by moment live in the belief that following Christ will result in things ultimately being better, then I can change the world around me. I do not need to obtain, possesses, or protect. I do not need to indulge my own greed. I do not have to win approval of others. I do not need to control. I do not need to get even or take revenge. I do not need to harbor the ills done to me. I need only to follow; to journey with Christ.



Faith understands and alters
In assures and calms our fears
It can shut the mouths of lions
And make sense of scars and tears
We persevere in hope
And with conscience clean and clear
We walk this fallen wilderness
With salvation’s pioneer – Michael Card

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment