24 November 2010

Choosing Your Artificial Christmas

Greetings Dear Reader,

I know that we are two days out from Thanksgiving and there are some of you who think that Christmas should wait. I draw a clear distinction between the merriment of Christmas and the merchandising of Christmas. One cannot celebrate the birth of God Incarnate and worship things at the same time. The other day I was shopping for a gift for my younger Son. I took a walk through the trees and decorations at the store because doing so lifts my spirits.

Whilst walking among the non-living trees I heard a boy call out from his cart. He was talking to me. I was wearing my burgundy waffle Henley and my black jeans. I was wearing a red bandana. The boy was pointing toward me and speaking to his mum. “Look, mom. I told you he was here. Hurry mom, we gotta get our artificial Christmas and decorate it.”

I smiled at the lad. He was not the first child to think I was Santa. Hopefully he will not be the last. I reassured him, “Do not worry. Your mother will get things ready in time. She always does.” The child visibly relaxed and retreated a little into the cart. It has been many years since I worked professionally as Santa but some of the magic is still there. The mom whispered a thank you and hurried on before the spell wore off.

The child’s words, however, stayed with me. I wondered at the pressure of a world where the only choice is an “artificial Christmas.” Were I able I would pass the true joy of Christmas to every man every day. What I must do is find that joy within my own spirit every day and rekindle it afresh. I can give the gifts of Christmas; love, forgiveness, peace, and good will every time I encounter someone if I choose to have them ready to give.

There are two Christmases. The real one that is imbued with Christ and his journey of redemption for our sake is the real one. This real Christmas can still involve family traditions and giving gifts that come from the heart. The merchandising and diminishing of Christ as the founder and finisher of our celebration is the artificial one. I must be so in tune with Christ that his joy and mirth spill out of me constantly. I have so many things to be thankful for but chief among them is a year spent trying to find the joy of Christ in every moment.

As Turkey and trimmings make the turn to black Friday and the decorating of trees, I pray that I find in every moment the Christ who is there waiting for me. I hope that I abandon pretense of any kind and offer my fellow man both substance and style. My prayer is that I offer all around me a real Christmas that need never be put away because it is the wrong season. It is always the right season to celebrate the birth of our Savior.

Now, as the last broad oak leaf falls, we beg, consider this:
there’s some who have no coin to save for turkey, wine or gifts.
No children’s laughter round the fire, no family left to know.
So lend a warm and helping hand –
say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow. – Ian Anderson


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment