12 November 2010

Getting ONE with Your Life

Greetings Dear Reader,

And sometimes we run by the power of his might
On own at the best we can plod – Michael Card

I was recently reconnecting with a friend and we were discussing the twists that life takes along the way. At one point my friend expressed the need to get on with life, but said that they needed to “Get one with life.” This slip has had me thinking all week.

In my efforts to gain a better grasp on my approach to following Christ, one of my foci has been to realize that I control nothing. I can follow Christ or I can try to control my world. Both are not possible and the latter ultimately fails anyway. Life comes more and more to mean the act of moment by moment looking for the next place Christ wishes me to step. When I do that I move and life is in harmony even amidst storms and pain.

Many years ago our family was returning from spending Thanksgiving in upstate New York with my maternal Grandfather. As we made our way south the sky began to take on the colour of dark slate and the opened up to deliver a massive winter storm. As the snow obscured all driving visibility we watched car after car slip off the road and pirouette into the ditch. My mother urged my dad to get off the road and find a place to stay the night. My dad was willing but wished to get further south of the storm first.

Easing down the right lane in our VW Microbus, he pulled in behind a Semi with chains on its wheels. We started up a long upgrade and my mum protested that we would get stuck and that we could not see. My dad explained that all he had to see what that truck’s tail lights and we would be fine. He glided along for miles behind the truck riding in the furrows left by its chains. Eventually, well south of the main part of the storm we pulled off for the night. Those who had pulled off earlier were stranded for days by a late fall blizzard. We were far enough south to make it home the next day.

Once we decide to follow is when our life begins to work. When I only follow I do not get lost. When I do anything but follow I am sure to get lost. When I do anything on my own I fail. When I follow Christ and him alone, I can get ONE with life and the beautiful dance that it is.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your insight and wisdom! I will be thinking of this and be considering all weekend as well! I have never quite seen it like this! D

    ReplyDelete