03 November 2010

A Journey of Diminishing

Greetings Dear Reader,

I often wonder what the external impact of time is changing internally in me. Parts of my mind wish to dwell on regret and waste today lamenting what I wish I had done differently yesterday. What a dangerous dark hole that pursuit is. I know that I feel a little slower this fall than I did last. My health is mostly good but time obviously has marked me and has set a fade rate.

In pondering these things and their relationship to pursuing only Christ, I have a few thoughts that I would share. I cannot focus on my health, my mobility, or my failures. I cannot look back and keep moving forward. The following of Christ is linear. The pursuit of Christ is one of the diminishing self.

I listen to some of those who are farther down the path than I. When I hear them dwell on their ailments, their lack of value, and their dissatisfaction with life, I do not hear them truly indulging in the richness that is to be found in following Christ. There are so many needs that could be addressed by those with time to do so.

As I move toward the other side of the hill and the path begins the descent into the long valley that leads to that final clearing, I must make a choice. I must choose to diminish in the proper ways. My Sons will become the young Turks who need to be firebrands for God. My Grandson and any future grandchildren (that is not a hint or pressure) will become my dotage.

I never consider retiring but if I find myself with more time to do as I please I hope that I use it to show Christ more clearly. I hope that my faith stretches into my health and hope for all that I do. I must also remember that every day is a gift. I must seek to eclipse myself so that others see Christ.

As I map out my goals for the rest of the journey, I must choose to be positive and let Christ be at the forefront of everything. Hopefully I can quietly walk the rest of the journey and those who come behind me will find makers I have left along the way that may the trail easier for them. It is my responsibility to diminish and leave only that which points to Christ. Hopefully when they get to the mile marker that is my last one, they will find that I have quietly faded into Christ leaving only a Cheshire moon to give them a little more light in the darkness.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment