29 November 2010

On Holding Orion

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

We all know that holding a new born child has some magic in it. New life with a new slate that is clean and a new story to write is the very best kind of enchantment. We had the joy of gathering together over Thanksgiving weekend with all the grandparents present. The mirth and merriment had no end.

Ten adults with their own lives as stories all had a single focal point most of the evening. When I was privileged to hold my Grandson nothing else in the world seemed to matter. He is changing us all and I know he changes me every time I hold him. My thoughts whilst holding him the other evening were all on this child and the potential to always be a good example for him.

We all get to choose how we will be around a child. The language we use, the habits we indulge, and the values we support will all impact this fresh life. I cannot compartmentalize my life into the thing I do around Orion and the things I do away from him. Who I am will influence him. My values will bleed through no matter how I try to mask them.

I must become committed to following Christ as closely and as honestly as I can so that whenever I am around my beautiful Grandson that is what he sees. I cannot harbor any anger or hurt. I cannot indulge any selfishness or self-centeredness. He will pick up on how I feel about others and so I must love others as I wish for him to do.

I loved holding him and realize that no matter how long I hold him, it will not be long enough. That realized it followed that all the others wished to hold him as well. I could have sat with him in my arms all evening. I used to hold his father for hours and hours. In realizing that all the aunts, uncles, and grandparents want to hold him as well, I must guard my good desire from becoming selfish greed.

Every good thing can become a bad thing once it is no longer selfless. It is the self that creates the sin that ruins the good things. Christ must increase and I must decrease.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment