23 November 2010

Orion Rising

Greetings Dear Reader,

At 12:20 yesterday morning (22 November 2010) my first Grandchild made his exit from one world and entered ours. The Hunter's Moon was full and his Constellation was high in the night sky. I held him for the first time some twenty minutes later. He was alert and looking around. He was wiggly and commanded the undivided attention of all seven adults in attendance. He looked so much like my son did on his first day amongst us that I was completely befuddled.

I watched as my Grandson exerted his power over all around him. It was amazing to see each of the adults transformed from a person with a unique personality to an entranced holder of new life. Every aunt, uncle, parent, and grandparent looked transfixed at Orion’s bright eyes and spoke words of love and kindness to him.

The labour was difficult on his Mum and his Papa is tired from the long attendance. We were all tired form the waiting. The first thing that got my energy up, before I even saw my Grandson was the joyful laughter of his Papa as Orion emitted his first cries of life. The heavy delivery room door between could not muffle the delight in my Son as he welcomed his Son. In that moment we all changed forever.

I long to capture the power and potential of this child’s arrival but cannot quite find the words. The short of it is that it was all settled in that moment when his father opened the thick wooden door and presented Orion to us all. A very noisy bunch of people became suddenly quiet. We took turns holding this beautiful boy.

When it was my turn I whispered to him the same first words I whispered to his father the first time I held him: “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish by have everlasting life.” I explained to him how much I already loved him and promised him that we would have many conversations.

Now I must become more and more purged of my fallen self and selfishness and become more and more a reflection of who Christ is so that Orion will see it clearly. Everything else is subtext. Everything else is commentary. Anything that detracts from this beautiful child seeing Christ in his Grandfather does not belong. Everything that promotes it honestly is a necessity. I already love him at a level that I cannot express. Welcome to the journey Orion. I hope I do well by you.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. It' wonderful to know your grandchild has been brought into a loving family. All my love.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete