16 November 2010

That’s why grace is so Amazing

Greetings Dear Reader,

I had the privilege to recently discover the musician Matt Maher. I am thankful for him and his music. Those who know me well will tell you that content matters to me much more than music style or genre. Feel free to check out this artist as you have probably heard a couple of his songs sung as worship songs.

The song that snagged me the hardest (picture a bass here gulping down a rooster tail), is the song Look Like a Fool. You seen the chorus pounded on the my brain the first eleven or twelve times I listened to it. I am going to dwell on it a little as it relates to me.

The first line is “That’s why grace is so amazing.” For me it is. My young life taught me that I was an inconvenience and a misfit. When I found Christ as a teen I was still somewhat of an outcast to both my family and my church family. As an adult I have failed in so many ways. Often I feel more like a misfit than I do anything resembling a child of God.

Even though that is true, God chooses to show the depth and breadth of his grace by occasionally letting me see how he uses me. Just today the campus president at the college where I teach told me that my kindness reaches far beyond where I ever see. It was an offhand comment that touched me in a way he could not have known I needed.

I still struggle every day with the depth of my inadequacies and the damage done by the rejection of those to whom I have given my heart. I believe that some of those wounds will never heal. Amidst all of that darkness there are stars that shine so brightly. Stars of hope that guide me on toward Christ and my journey with him show how his grace can even work through me.

Grace is amazing because it can make this scarecrow feel like more than stuffed rags lifted up on a pole to scare away marauders. Grace is astounding because from time to time I see where my actions or words cause a smile or warm a heart. Grace is enough because it allows us to be used to further the redemption project that the Father is working out in our world of misfits.

So remember your people
Remember your children
Remember your promise oh God
Your grace is enough for me – Matt Maher

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Wow the songs this Matt are very deep and down to earth, thank you Aramis for sharing this to your readers.
    the wisdom that you put out there for your readers and the insite that you give them is just inspiring.

    ReplyDelete