27 November 2010

The Vigil - 3

Greetings Dear Reader,

Drawn towards destinies darkling kite, riven by reality
Riding the passion to terrible height, life upon death’s tree
Cause me to drink from the chalice of fire. Forge me anew in the heat of desire
Let me inhabit the holy empire and make war on the armies of night. – Kemper Crabb

I am going to war in December.

Even the celebration that wishes “peace on earth” to all is an act of war. We serve on a battlefield where there are no neutral zones. We journey through a world where there is not a demilitarized zone. The Advent of Christ is a major military move in a campaign against the darkness that wishes to claim us all. On a field where there are no rusty swords our weapons are strange and seem ineffectual until employed.

There are the common weapons that Christ followers know. The Sword of the Spirit, the Shield of Faith, the Breastplate of Righteousness, and the Helmet of Salvation are all well known to us. We have sabatons in the preparation of the gospel. Our loins may be girded with truth. (Ephesians 6:10-18) We have others weapons as well; weapons of mass destruction.

When we show love, employ kindness, and rain down humility on others we become beacons of light that can shatter the darkness. We give others the courage and strength to embrace Christ and join our fight for reclamation of creation. Every encounter is a skirmish. Every conversation is a salvo.

When I stand in line at the store and treat the cashier with deference and politeness, I am attacking the darkness. When I get a trolley for an overburdened mother, I am waging war. When I give my time and attention and money to those who are in need; that is battle rage. I can become a berserker, seemingly mad in my quest to exhibit the love of Christ all that I do. I promise that the army of darkness will try to kill me for it.

I choose deliberately to go to war. I choose with intent to love, forgive, and show kindness. I do not care if I am boiled in my own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through my heart. I will sing as I go. I will sing battle songs that cry out to all that Christ has come and that his purpose is to draw ALL humans to himself.

Mankind is my business and it is for them that it is all done. If you have the heart I ask you to ride out to war with me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment