21 December 2010

25 Ways to Give – December 21st

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

Since today is the Winter Solstice I thought I would indulge in a little syncretism and honor those who do not follow my faith. There is an implied arrogance in following any system of belief that claims to be the only way to God. I do not have to agree with the faith of another to be respectful and kind to them. I do not have to water down my faith to treat another with love and acceptance.

That said there are those around me celebrating Hanukah, Kwanzaa, the Winter Solstice and other days particular to other belief systems. No one may truly follow Christ and treat others with disrespect. As a gift to others, remember where your faith comes from. It has become unpopular and to some even wrong to wish others a “Merry Christmas.”

As one who knows the richness and peace available in follow Christ, when I wish this to others I am being inclusive not exclusive. In wishing another “Merry Christmas” I am inviting them to see that there is a richness in Christ hidden by the failures and selfishness of some of his followers.

No one has the right to degrade the beliefs of another. Perhaps if we follow Christ closely enough, wishing others a Merry Christmas will not be seen as exclusion but as inclusion.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment