08 December 2010

25 Ways to Give – December 8th

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

My time seems to be so demanded this week. We have begun a new quarter at school. Our family open house is this weekend. I am still in high shopping mode. Emotional pains also vie for my attention. Amidst all of that is the temptation to get lost in expectations and impressions of others.

This time of year more than any other it is vital that I focus on those around me rather than my own agenda. It is my children, family, and friends that need attention. Beyond all of that I must focus on Christ. I cannot be any of the things my children need unless I walk in the grace and spirit of who Christ is. I cannot give from the heart unless Christ guides my heart. I cannot celebrate properly unless Christ is the celebration.

So many things try to actively or passively push Christ and his gift to us out of the Christmas season. The passive ones are usually attached to merchandizing and money. Electronics vie for my attention and resources. Just the potential stress if my buying is not Christ centered is daunting.

I must also protect my focus from the things that try intentionally to drive Christ from the Christmas season. I do not begrudge others their celebrations at this time but I refuse to water down the celebration of CHRISTmas for the sake of political correctness. I do not want this to seem like a rant in any way but we are not excluding others by wish them a happy Christmas. We are in fact including them in the advent of the most important event in history.

I must lovingly and humbly disallow the watering down of my focus on Christ while not disrespecting others and what matters to them. I must be sure to act as Christ like as possible and hope that others catch the image that is intended in the celebration. Nothing else about Christmas matters if I do not celebrate that God became incarnate for my reclamation. There is nothing to celebrate if Christ is not our redemption. It seems foolish for anything but Christ to be my focus.

If you do the same, focus on Christ and his spirit in your Christmas preparations, giving, and celebration, you will find a new and amazing beauty in the season.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment