21 February 2011

Ghosts of Friendships Past

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the results of poor choices in my life has been the loss of some friends along the way. I have also lost friends for doing what is right but have peace about that. The friendships that haunt me are the ones where I let someone down or betrayed someone’s trust and I cannot connect with them to seek forgiveness.

Social media and some other venues have accorded slight relief in this area. I have been able to reach out to some. Some have responded and there has been some healing on both sides. Others have not. I know that I have done wrong. I know that I have acknowledged that wrong and sought forgiveness from God. The problem with doing things that alienate others is that when you realize you are an idiot the person who is alienated may not wish to speak to you any longer.

So I carry the memory of some fellow travelers with me but can no longer share the journey with them. It haunts me on special occasions and at unexpected moments. It also motivates me to be more vigilant of my current actions.

It also makes me more aware of how I treat the offences committed against me by others. It became apparent to me last year that refusal of contact with someone often indicates a lack of forgiveness on my part. When I feel avoidance of anyone it is time to question my own heart and attitudes. What in me is holding onto a grudge or slight that causes avoidance? What have I not dismissed and given over to Christ?

I miss the interactions with those friends with whom I no longer have contact. I reach out to them from time to time in hope of thawing relations. For now the ghosts that haunt me serve to propel me to be better. For that, from those friends I miss, I thank you.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment