04 March 2011

Conscious Consumption

Greetings Dear Reader,

“Surrounding myself with possessions,
I surly have more than I need.
I don’t if it is justice hard earned,
Or simply a matter of greed,
A matter of greed.” – Dan Fogelberg

I know that I have more than I need and am attempting to ramp up my generosity to match that. One of the things I am trying to incorporate into that thinking is in measuring what I acquire. There are things that I want that I do not need. There are things I need but seem to be lavish to others.

I am well fed and there are times when I over eat. I am overweight though not as much as I used to be and using my determination not to over-consume to help lost weight. I still need to learn a balance between these things.

I have more home than I need and am willing to share it. In short, I am unsure of how to balance things always. At times I go for that extra slice of pizza without pondering it. Other times when I reach for I wonder why I should have it when there are people starving. I live in a country where there is plenty but we still tolerate poverty.

It seems sometimes that Christ followers take Jesus’ statement that we will have the poor with us always as a condition and not an opportunity. I guess this is a little rambling but my point is that I am trying to find a balance that is difficult. I know that well stocked pantry and a few extra things is not wrong, but I also feel the pain of those who do not have enough. Perhaps it is a place where I need to trust God to lead me to those I am to assist. If so then I must also trust that he is leading others to those I cannot.

I guess that being prepare to help, keeping my heart open to generosity, and freely enjoying God’s blessings in my life are all part of the journey.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment