07 March 2011

A Cup of Tea

Greetings Dear Reader,

It takes time to make a good cup of tea. A missionary friend of mine from Sydney once observed that America tea bags are an abomination. She went on to explain that our tea bags are filled with leaf partials and dust. I use mostly loose leaf tea and find that the extra time to prepare and brew it is always worth the effort.

I have over the last couple of years taken on the challenge of growing some tea of my own. It has turned out beautifully. I mixed the anise hyssop tea that I grew with some bulk oolong that I purchased from a Asian grocer. The blend is both gentle and warming. All told the time from leaf to tea is longer but the reward is worth it. The fresh leaves or properly dried ones yield rich oils and strong botanicals. When the hot water covers the leaves it is infused with the flavors and textures of the plants in all their richness. Patience is still required to allow the tea to properly steep.

My children have come to appreciate the value of hand crafted foods and a good cup of coffee or tea is worth the effort to them as well. I am trying to transfer this learning to my relationships. It takes time to cultivate real relationships that world. One cannot give someone particles and dust then expect to brew something enduring. When the hot water hits and the infusion begins them there are few oils and botanicals to yield the taste and aroma needed.

I know that at times all that I give to God are particles and dust. I want him to have all that is created in me and I want to give the time it takes for him to make me into something sweet and pleasing. I get in a hurry. I want everything to be right immediately. It takes time. It takes a long time; maybe a lifetime of yieldedness. I may not ever feel that I have done enough, but I can be sure that today I offer more than particles and dust.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment