14 June 2011

Five Strawberries

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am always awed at the many things that God just gives me.  In the garden box just off of my porch is six by two foot area of strawberries.  I was able yesterday to pick the first five and enjoy them on my way to work.  These five berries were ripe to the point of being sugary.  I carefully pulled the green bits off and laid the berries on a napkin on the car seat.

As I drove to work I slowly ate each berry.  I savored each one.  I pondered every note of flavor and texture in each berry.  I wished my eldest son were there to share the moment as strawberries are one of his favorite foods.  The berries were perfect.  There were gone by the time I was half way to work and the day was noted by the joy of those berries.

The thing is that I did nothing to earn or deserve this moment of bliss.  I did not even weed the garden bed.  Christmas did that for me.  The only work involved for me was removing the greenery and bending my elbow to my mouth.  Those five ripe strawberries, therefore, were an unmitigated combination of kindness from my daughter and grace from my God.

It causes me to think how many wonderful things are in my life simply because God graces me with them.  In the last days of spring as the planet streaks toward the solstice I am blessed with a cool morning breeze, an excellent hot breakfast, and a morning to spend pondering and writing.  First, however, I shall take a moment to offer my genuine gratitude that God has given me so much so freely.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment