06 June 2011

Soul Tattoo

Greetings Dear Reader,

If you read my ramblings regularly then yesterday you read about Christmas getting her first tattoo.  It got me thinking about the permanence of some things in our lives.  Even though there are ways to mostly remove tattoos now it is still one of those choices that marks one forever. 

Whilst waiting for Christmas to get her time in the chair I looked through the tattoo artist’s portfolio of work.  Toward the back of the book was a section of tattoos that he had repaired or reimaged.  These had before and after pictures.  Some of the before photos were of very horrid tattoos.  Some were done badly.  Some were names of lovers that apparently were not as permanent as the ink.  Some were simply being made better by the improved tattoo technology.

I have made some good and bad choices over the years that fall into the category of tattoos on my soul.  There are some dark and horrid ones; choices that I have made that I cannot undo.  These have caused hurt, damage, or embarrassment to me and often those around me.  Some are good and they have made beautiful marks in the lives of others. 

We all carry these marks both for good or ill.  We all are in a place where whether we like it or not those soul tattoos show.  We try to ask others not to get the damaging ones but rarely does anyone listen.  We attempt to make them see how much the mark will be regretted when they sober up, break up, or come to their senses. 

There is one tattoo on my soul that I carry with pride.  It is also one that does not ever let us forget it is there.  We mask it with other things when we are wrongly embarrassed by it.  We sometimes try to hide it from others but this tattoo, once inked is impossible to truly hide.  The choice to follow Christ left a permanent mark on me.  Even when I for a time decided that I would walk away from this choice, the tattoo upon my soul was there in the mirror every day.

I see others who have taken on this ink try to not live up to the mark they carry.  It does not work.  I feel the presence of it whenever I attempt to shirk the responsibility of wearing it.  Taking on Christ is a permanent mark on my soul.  I am glad that I did and will endeavor to wear it well.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment