05 June 2011

Tattoo You

Greetings Dear Reader,

“Whenever Hebrew men or women are sold to you as slaves, they will be your slaves for six years. In the seventh year you must let them go free. But when you let them go, don't send them away empty-handed. Generously give them provisions-sheep from your flocks, grain from your threshing floor, and wine from your winepress. Be as generous to them as the LORD your God has been to you. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the LORD your God freed you. That's why I'm giving you this command today. But suppose a male slave says to you, "I don't want to leave you," because he loves you and your family and is happy with you. Then take an awl and pierce it through his ear lobe into a door, and he will be your slave for life. Do the same to a female slave if she doesn't want to leave.” Deuteronomy 15:12-17

I sat there yesterday and watched Christmas get her first tattoo. It was quite simple and elegant. It was choice she made carefully and ponderously. The tattoo is behind her left ear and simply reads “not for sale.” It is from a Kemper Crab song entitled Doulos. Given what she has endured it is both a brave a wise choice.

I have come a long way in my thoughts about tattoos. I used to think that they were just wrong. It was part of the fallout from adjustments that needed to be made in my entire thinking about what it means to follow Christ. I was encumbered by rules that betrayed the spirit of Christ’s love for us.

My younger Son was the first of my children to get inked. It was then that I had choose where I truly stood on the issue. Fortunately a careful reading of the Word and some sound reasoning led me to acceptance and growth. It took me to the place that allowed me to be there yesterday as Christmas made this big step.

She has reached the place where she wants everyone to know that she belongs only to Christ and that no one may ever try to possess her again. She chose to express this through the tattoo and the song. God leaves his mark on all of us anyway. I see no reason why it should not be visible to everyone. These words are the words of my heart as well.  You can hear the song here.

Doulos

You are my God
And I am your man
I will worship you
With the works of my hands
And the thoughts of my mind
And the love of my heart

If the world could know
If they could understand
That ah the exquisite touch
Of the Creator's hand
Brings a blur to my eye
But makes my vision clear

Ring, rainbow ring
Encircles the throne
Fiery ring of love
Around your own
A golden ring to show
Just where I stand
A ring that binds my heart
Into your hand

And looking back
Across the years
I can see that you
Were constantly there
Constant creation
That’s what I am
As you are making me
Into your man

Here is my ear
Drive through the nail
The world will know
By the ring that I wear
That I am not for sale
For you are my God
And I am your man

Ring, rainbow ring
Encircles the throne
Fiery ring of love
Around your own
A ring to show
Just where whose I am
A ring that binds my heart
Into your hand

For you are my God
And I am your man


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. I admire your honesty in sharing an area of growth for you. And thanks for sharing a picture of the tattoo! You know I wanted to see it. And why do you call her Christmas? Did I miss that post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/6/11 11:13

    THANKS PAPA, I LOVE READING ABOUT YOUR GROTH, IT IS AN INSIGHT THAT MOST KIDS DONT GET WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR PARENTS... I THINK THATS PRETTY AWESOME

    ReplyDelete