27 August 2011

When Sleep Eludes Me


Greetings Dear Reader,

24 August 2011-- It is 2:08 am and I have booked only two hours sleep.  I woke up at 1:34 am and tried to return to sleep for half an hour.  Once I awaken this is usually futile.  So what do I do with this time when I need sleep to get me through the day but will not get enough?  I write.  I work on this blog, or my current novel, or the things that the boys in the basement have dredged up that awakened me in the first place.

Most people do not know that I have terrible nightmares.  I have for a few years now.  Because of their nature I rarely share them with anyone.  Most people do not need that imagery dogging their minds.  On the occasions when the nightmares are the cause of my sleep deprivation it takes a bit to re-center and refocus. 

The thing that this time does provide is time to pray for people undisturbed.  There are so many conversations I wish to have with the Father but the day gets busy and they get neglected.  I the dark hours of the night there is time and silence for such things. 

Occasionally I make the mistake of eating something that is bad for me in the wee hours.  I pay for it all day long.  Tonight I am sipping ginger ale and water.  I have that gritty nausea that some people get when sleep deprived.  I think that I will post this a little later and right now indulge in some uninterrupted conversation with the Father.  After all, it matters.  I realize this post is a departure from my more polished thoughts on issues but it is who I am in the moment. 

27 August 2011—It is 3:17 am and this time I have been up since about 12:45 having drifted off at 10:30.  I was awakened by the sounds of Christmas and her friend Present returning from a small town Friday night football game.  The cacophony of their attempt to be quiet was quite adorable.  I let them know I was awake and we chatted for a bit.  Then Christmas said wanted a Pizza.  It was 1:22 at that moment.  I agreed that to get one for them.  We ordered a large Pizza and sang old songs neither of them should know until it arrived.  The pizza arrived at 2:07.  See my note above about the ill wisdom for me of eating bad food (even good bad food) at this hour.  I, nevertheless, indulged.  I have not done this in too many years and it was joyful.

We chatted a bit then they went off to bed.  Here I am forty minutes later still awake.  Not sure how the rest of the day will unfold but I have been praying for both of these young women so that they see how richly the love of Christ is reflected in their friendship.

I guess on balance a little lack of sleep is worth it when I have the right heart about it.  Then it seems that as I keep unpacking my heart so there is more room for Christ to build in it what he wishes, everything is worth it if my heart is right about it.  I am going to try and drift off for a bit.

Old man he’s asleep now
Got appointments to keep now
Dreaming of his sons and daughters
Proving, proving that the blood is strong – Ian Anderson

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. The day was late
    the night grew fast
    all sorrow and hate
    will soon have past

    The shadows loomed
    the sky turned thick
    as thunder boomed
    and lightning flicked

    As all people ran
    and hid their faces
    then showed a man
    the father of races

    He's come to collect
    from this putrid town
    but having no respect
    fools spit on his crown
    No welcome in sight
    his sorrow was great
    only threats to fight
    it is now too late

    His eyes grew dark
    and filled with tears
    his hands bore marks
    after all these years

    his fury has grown
    to hell he commands
    his anger shown
    and scorched the land

    Then without warning
    it all had ended
    all the pain and mourning
    now had been mended

    The fog then did clear
    yet only one did remain
    she knelt without fear
    as evil hissed with distain

    He fell to the ground
    from high up above
    finally to have found
    a heart full of love

    ReplyDelete