06 September 2011

A Broken Carafe – Two Years Later

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday morning was the first morning that a true chill was in the air. The current temperature as I write is 39 degrees (This 4 degrees C for my non-American readers).  I love this weather.  It is crisp and invigorating.  Almost exactly two years ago when I was less whole and in much more emotional pain I wrote about my coffee carafe being broken.  If one wishes some context this is the link to that article, A Broken Carafe. 

Today I am still using the replacement carafe.  My $2 investment has yielded a couple of hundred great pots of coffee.  My excellent coffee maker does not seem to mind that the carafe is not the same colour as the machine.  I have since begun roasting my own coffee and enjoy it richly.  The reason that I return to the topic is that as look back, this choice was a turning point in my thinking.

Over the last two years I have been much more willing to see things in the light of saving them rather than replacing them.  I found that some things are better when acquired used than new.  I have learned to repurpose things that I might have otherwise discarded.  Taking this view of things has also made me more tolerant of people.  I do not mean tolerance in terms of accepting things that I think are wrong.  I think I am more patient and observe more than I intercede. 

You see in that moment when my coffee carafe was broken two years ago, I had to make a choice.  My lesser nature wished me to be angry and overbearing.  Christ called me to be loving and understanding.  By God’s grace love and understanding won out and I greatly benefitted from it. 

The lessons of a broker carafe are simple.  I hope I continue to learn and apply them.  I have far to go in becoming what I should be as a follower of Christ.  It is rewarding to know that each time I make a pot of coffee I can remember that grace and kindness yield rich rewards and exhilarating opportunities to learn.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. I like this post, friend. There is beauty in the old.

    ReplyDelete