28 September 2011

Going Walkabout


Greetings Dear Reader,

I was speaking with Christmas the other day about the concept of going walkabout.  It seems there are two primary ways of seeing this term.  The first is the Aboriginal definition that implies a journey back to nature and the old ways to rediscover something.  The second meaning is a form of wandering.  One is not sure of one’s destination or what is sought.  It is the act of being carried by the moment.

As I have been reviewing my life this year, I have realized that very little of what I have planned in life has turned out the way I thought they would.  Sometimes things have gone off rails because of my own sin or failures.  Often things just unfold differently than I thought they should.  The illusion in the reality is that I ever considered that I was in control. 

Christ made it very clear when he was speaking with one of the Pharisees.  He said to the man, “The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you don't know where the wind comes from or where it's going. That's the way it is with everyone born of the Spirit."  What it seems to have taken me a few decades to get my head around is that the wind is subject to this as well.  Not only does an external view of one born of the Spirit seem to be one bourn on the wind, but it is the same from the perspective of the one carried.

In an attempt to follow Christ more closely I am trying to accept that the only thing I can truly control is my own responses to the path Christ lays out for me.  I hope to in the coming year deepen my position in following to the point that I truly feel that I have gone walkabout.  I have so many things in my life that I love but I know that I am not where I am supposed to be yet.  The other side of that is that I do not know how to get there.

That leaves me with the choice to give up or to give in.  Giving up would be choosing to abandon my dreams and aspirations because things do not unfold as I think they should.  Giving in would be allowing myself to be carried on the wind and allowing Christ to direct that when.  I know that I have grasped moments of this and it is amazing.

So much of life gets programmed by the demands of survival.  I am sure that is not how it is supposed to be for us.  So I am going walkabout.  I know what my destination is but I have no idea how to get there.  I promise not to do anything crazy but I may seem a bit eccentric at times.  Homo proponit, sed Deus disponi.


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

No comments:

Post a Comment