08 September 2011

Time for a Fire

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the things that astounds me is that there I things I love that I do not do.  I have an excellent fire pit and enjoy sitting with friends around a fire and talking.  I used to do this often.  The crispness in the air makes me desire to do so again.  The problem is that doing so alone is not fun and the readily available friends who used to join me are now too far away to do so conveniently.    

I find my also yearning for other things I used to do that I have not for some time and I wonder what triggers this in me.  I am trying to learn contentedness but there are things I want back in my life that I am unsure how to regain.  I know that part of the problem is time and that seems more in demand of late than in the past.  I had to give up an opportunity to have an evening with my sons because of a cold and the loss still haunts me. 

Today is one of those days that if I could order it as I wished would be very different from the day it will be.  If I could build this day the way I wished I would serve a breakfast of pancakes and sausage to all of my children and my Grandson.  We could laze around a second or third cup of coffee then we would all make our way to the Braves doubleheader this afternoon and evening.  We could enjoy good conversation and too many hotdogs whilst watching the Braves win both games.  I would hold my Grandson on my knee and whisper stories to him of the Braves games I attended with my Grandfather.  I am sure new memories of that time would surface and I could share them with my children. 

On a more realistic musing it would be nice just to have a few friends and a fire in my fire pit tonight.  I could still provide the coffee and would gladly do so.  The falling leaves are whispering and they call out to enjoy the air and the chill, to roast a marshmallow or two, and perhaps fill my pipe with a bit of the McClelland.  For today I will be content to prepare for classes next week, listen to the Braves on the computer, and perhaps a call to my Sons to see if we can have that fire sometime this weekend.

In all of this what I truly hope is that I see Christ in the moments and find what he has for me in them.  That is where the contentment will live.  That is where my musings will find anchor and substance. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. I hope you find some friends to enjoy your fire with you! I prayed that God will provide you with some new friends who are as anxious for fire time as you are!

    ReplyDelete