29 October 2011

Forgiveness Hypocrisy


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have been struggling this week with forgiving someone.  This individual repeatedly is rude, arrogant, and inconsiderate of others.  He focuses on his own needs above the needs of others and refuses to truly contribute.  I cannot change him and I cannot remove him from the equation. So this week I have been struggling with my attitude about him.

The real problem here is me.  You see I cannot think of a one of his sins that I have not also committed.  It is not my place to change him.  It is not my place to marginalize him.  It is my duty to love him and do whatever I can to reflect Christ into his life.  I think that this is the hidden snare that we fall prey to when we do not readily forgive others.

Refusing to forgive others says that my sin is more forgivable than theirs.   I count on Christ to forgive me but he clearly prayed for the Father to forgive us as we forgive others.  That is vital in my approach to forgiveness.  I dare not ask God to forgive my sin and hold another’s against him. 

I am resolved to deal with this properly but thinking through it gives me pause.  I must see everyone in the light of worthy of forgiveness.   I am responsible to forgive no matter how I feel.  I am responsible to set an example in this.  Failure to forgive hurts me and others.  I am to do no harm.  Christ will provide for my healing from the hurts of others.  I need only obey.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Exactly right, AT. In every paragraph you are spot on. That is the reality of forgiveness, and that is its challenge.

    ReplyDelete