11 October 2011


Four Commitments - Committed to Worship

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday the discussion on lordship caused me to think about this topic all day.  I find myself wondering what worship really is.  I have worded very deliberately to develop an attitude of prayer in all that I do.  It is so difficult to consider worship without pondering prayer.  At the heart of this part of the journey for me is knowing that I am in my conversation with God acknowledging who he is.

Some very simple things still fill me with awe.  The right sunset or sunrise amazes me.  A day at the ocean will leave me filled with wonder at the power and majesty of creation.  Seeing deer in a cornfield reminds me of the amazing gentleness of God.  Holding my Grandson fills my soul with worship.

We gather for worship on Sunday but do we indulge in the beauty of worship regularly.  The God who created all this greatness values my enjoyment of it.  We have an entire universe of beauty and grace to marvel in that was given to us to point us toward God.

A friend texted me the other morning to tell me she was up to greet the sun.  She has found the connection between creation and the Creator and revels in it.  I must worship if I am to keep perspective on WHO God is.  It is not out of pride that God inhabits the praises of his people.  It is out of love.  He knows that when we worship who he is we are taking on understanding that bolsters our faith.  In our pilgrimage of passion it is much easier to follow if we remain in awe of the one who leads.

What is Worship?
It is a soul searching for its counterpart.
It is the thirsty land crying out for rain.
It is a candle in the act of being kindled.
It is a drop in quest of the ocean.
It is a man listening through a tornado for the Still Small Voice.
It is a voice in the night calling for help.
It is a sheep lost in the wilderness pleading for rescue by the Good Shepherd.
It is the same sheep nestling in the arms of the rescuer.
It is the Prodigal Son running to his Father.
It is a soul standing in awe before the mystery of the Universe.
It is a poet enthralled by the beauty of a sunrise.
It is a workman pausing a moment to listen to a strain of music.
It is a hungry heart seeking for love.
It is a heart of love consecrating herself to her lover.
It is Time flowing into Eternity
It is my little self, engulfed in the Universal Self.
It is a man climbing the altar stairs to God. – Dwight Bradley

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment