14 October 2011

Four Commitments - Committed to Reconciliation

Greetings Dear Reader,

Many years ago, in play, someone grabbed my right index finger and bent it in the wrong direction.  We were goofing around.  It was not anything unkind.  It was an accident.  Today as I type that finger still hurts reminding me of the moment and many years of subsequent discomfort.  I feel neither anger nor resentment toward the incident or toward the individual relative to that incident.  A simple unintentional act has caused discomfort for the rest of my life.  I rarely talk about the pain but it reminds me of something so important every day.

You see people are going to hurt us.  It will either be by intent or not.  The harm will be temporary or permanent.  The pain will either be minor or great.  Whether the damage is physical or emotional the requirement is the same.  I am supposed to live out Christ’s message of reconciliation by constantly treating the offences of others with love, grace, and mercy.  I am so in need of the aforementioned from Christ I cannot dare withhold if form others. 

The results of not dealing in grace and mercy for the purpose of reconciliation are vast.  Friends part ways instead of forgiving each other.  Families live in strife and discord because someone refuses to reconcile and restore.  Marriages end because a heart becomes hard toward a spouse and Christ’s call to live peaceably.  Failure to reconcile leaves fissures in relationships that make following Christ difficult.

Ultimately the purpose of all four of the commitments is reconciling to God.  We are the ones who have originally rejected him.  I am the one who chooses my own will over his desire for me to follow his Son with all my heart. So I must be the one who commits to his Sovereignty over all that I am.  I must be the one who makes every thought, emotion, and action an attempt to offer worship to God.  I must see the needs of the body as more vital than my individual wants in every situation.  I must do all that I do to work toward journeying toward God with a reconciled heart. 

It is after all my sin that refused to acknowledge my Lord, failed to worship him, causes division in the body, and creates the need for reconciliation.  It is God’s blood that drew the path back to God for me so that I could call him Lord, worship him, work toward unity, and some day experience a reconciled relationship to God.

When the Father’s Wisdom wanted to communicate His love,
He spoke it in one final perfect Word.
He spoke the Incarnation and then so was born the Son.
His final word was Jesus, He needed no other one.
Spoke flesh and blood so He could bleed and make a way Divine.
And so was born the baby who would die to make it mine. – Michael Card

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment