22 October 2011

Litanies of Pain


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have noticed a pattern in the behaviour of some individuals that concerns me.  It seems there is a growing trend to attach a litany to every encounter.  When talking with someone about a computer issue, the individual actually gave me a list of medical reasons why looking up the answer to a computer question in the book that dealt with that issue was impossible.

The trend seems to be that any difficult task that goes unfulfilled needs a litany of excuses attached to it.  Very often it seems that the difficulties in life are an acceptable reason to not do the things we are supposed to do.  Litanies of past pain become the justification for not keeping our word, improving our situation, or doing our best. 

These litanies can be about medical issues, social drama, or personal woes.  They seem to take on a life of their own and become an individual’s story instead of a footnote on the journey to better things.  The litany of pain becomes the song instead of the minor movement it should be in contrast to all that we have that is good.

As I journey down the path I have developed some minor maladies.  The last few years have had some very painful moments that continue to plague me.  I have been keeping track of how often my mind tries to get me to focus on those things instead of being who I can be in Christ.  The contrast is amazing.  When I shove aside the desire to let an excuse overrule me giving my best it is a very pleasing thing.  When I allow something small or something past to hinder me from giving my best I always regret it.

I acknowledge that people carry long term hurt and fear.  I find though that one can acknowledge and validate those things without seeing them as hindrances to future success.  I know that as I age I must guard against developing my own litanies of pain.  No one wants to hear them and they detract from my ability to see and reflect Christ.  I cannot allow yesterday to use up today.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment