08 October 2011

Mirrors


Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently I purchased a new cabinet for my kitchen.  It was not designed to be used in the kitchen.  It is obviously intended for a bathroom or perhaps as a curio cabinet.  It has doors with mirrors and two internal shelves.  My kitchen is over 100 years old and needed more cabinet space since there is only a single corner cabinet over the main work area.

I found the cabinet at a Salvation Army Thrift Store.  It is made of fine hardwood and the cabinet doors close to form one large mirror.  It is filled with my vast collection of spices, herbs, and dried foods.  In choosing it I only considered the space it would be in and the storage it would provide. 

Once it was home and properly set up I saw another benefit I had not imagined.  The mirrors on the doors allow one to view the entire kitchen whilst facing the counter.     

Mirrors only reflect what is presented to them.  What I saw was my entire kitchen as it appears from my counter.  It was a view from a different perspective and lead to other minor corrections to enhance the utility and aesthetics of the room.  It also gave me a new insight as to what it means to attempt to become an ever increasing reflection of Christ.

Mirrors are so very honest.  A clean, properly formed mirror always reflects what is presented to it.  It does so without commentary or pretense. Mirrors have become mostly tools for vanity or culture.  What I ponder is how often I look honestly into a mirror.  How often do I see myself without be self-abasing or self-aggrandizing?  The mirror does not care.  The mirror simply reflects what is presented to it.

How do I get out of the way?  How do I become simply a mirror reflecting Christ?  Were there a simple answer I would already be doing it.  The only thing I can see is that I must do all that I can to constantly be in the moment with Christ.   If I can find a way to always be standing in his light then I can hope to reflect what he presents.  Then I will be reflecting the love, grace, and kindness that is who Christ is.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment